First of all, let’s be real… Meatloaf just is not pretty (and it’s not easy to make pretty in pictures). But trust me when I say that this meatloaf is damn tasty and super fast and easy to make, which makes it basically a perfect main course. I’ve made this a couple times now and it’s still as good as the first. I tend to not like extra lean ground meat. It usually seems to dry, but with this recipe extra lean turkey worked perfectly. You get a lot of moisture with the sauce you add in to the mix and it does not turn out dry.
Speaking of sauce… I highly recommend Trader Joe’s pasta sauces. As far as jarred sauces go they are my personal favorite. The Roasted Garlic and Arrabiata are my two favorites.
Mini Turkey Meatloaves
From Better Home & Gardens
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup jarred pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs (I used Kinnikinnick GF Panko Crumbs)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped if large
- 1 1/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium saucepan bring lightly salted water to boiling. In a large bowl combine egg, 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons of the basil, and salt. Add beef and 1/2 cup of the cheese; mix well. Divide beef mixture into four equal portions. Shape each portion into a 5-1/2×2-inch oval loaf. Place loaves onto a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spoon on remaining pasta sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes or until internal temperature registers 170 degrees F.